The Library offers library instruction sessions to help students identify, find, evaluate, and use information effectively. Library instruction is one of the best ways to introduce students to the library and develop research skills. Students who have the skills to find, evaluate, and use information are more successful in their classrooms and will be more successful life-long learners.
- Provide in-class instruction
- Work with you to embed a librarian in your Canvas course
- Collaborate with instructors to create online course guides to target your course and/or assignment
- Provide individual instruction or reference appointments
What Type of Instruction is Available at the Library?
We have implemented a "Have it Your Way" concept to increase collaboration and customize instruction for any course or assignment. No sure what you need? We can help!
- Single In-Class Instruction Sessions:
- The Flexible Learning Space in the Library or the Computer Lab can be used for hands-on instruction on how to use the library and other electronic resources. We can also come to your class on campus or online. Classes can include basic orientation to the library, advanced research, or specific resources tailored to your course assignment. All of the library instruction sessions can be customized for individual classes.
- Short Session (Individual Reference Appointments or Groups):
- Small group and individual reference appointments are an option for students who need a brief explanation of a task or concept (e.g. citing sources, plagiarism, how to search for books).
- Canvas Integration:
- Embed a librarian, resources, or library materials in your Canvas course.
Here are a few topics we can cover in a Library Instruction Session:
- Research basics
- How to use the Library Catalog
- Using Online Databases
- Understanding Citation and Avoiding Plagiarism
- Evaluating Resources
- Scholarly vs. Popular Resources
- Primary vs. Secondary Resources
- and more...
To schedule a Library Instruction Session or for information about Library Instruction Sessions, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or submit your request below.